It is now six months since I decided to try and walk 2,019 km in 2019. How is this plan going?
I am on target [hooray]. I added up my kilometres at the end of June and I was relieved to see I have walked a total of 1,070 km in the first half of the year. I am really pleased to get beyond half-way towards my target at this mid-point but it is only just over the target. There is certainly no opportunity to let up on the walking and slob around.
- In the 181 days from 1 January to the end of June I have averaged almost 6 km a day.
- The longest walk on any day was at Henley-on-Thames in February when we clocked up 20 km.
- The hardest day was 17 km up [and down] Ben Nevis.
- Mountain walking isn’t great for clocking up the distance. I was somewhat deflated when I realised that one very steep Scottish mountain we walked up at Easter was only 4 km up and down and yet was an exhausting day out.
- My rule for counting the kilometres is that they only count if I have deliberately gone out for a walk. It can just be a walk to the supermarket, the important thing is that I have chosen to walk rather than cycle or drive. I don’t count the couple of kilometres walk to our tai chi class and back, as this is primarily about tai chi, not walking and I don’t count the short distances to the local post office or other local shops.
- I have learnt there are a lot of days when I don’t go for a walk at all – a terrifying 30 of the 181 days or almost 17%! Some of those days we might have cycled or practised tai chi and so not been completely lazy but others were because we were driving or just staying in.
- I have only cycled 227 km in the last six months. This is less than I would normally cycle as with this target I am generally choosing to go for a walk!
- In the two months we were away in Scotland from April to June, I walked 425 km, a slightly higher average than the rest of the time.
- I am pleased I set the target and enjoying keeping an eye on my progress but I’m not sure if I will do it again. It is a hassle having to remember to note down where we have been every day and keep a record through the year.
One thought on “2,019 km in 2019 six month report”